Back to top

Castlegar man to remain in custody after repeat arrests

A Castlegar resident is back in custody after allegedly breaching conditions he was to abide by while awaiting trial. 

Castlegar top cop RCMP Sgt. Monty Taylor said 35-year-old Andrew Cancela had been released by the courts after two separate RCMP investigations that included a traffic stop in March of 2018, in which Cancela was allegedly found in possession of cocaine, and another incident in July of 2018, in which RCMP executed a search warrant on Cancela’s residence allegedly locating cocaine and an amount of Canadian currency. 

Taylor said Cancela was charged with two counts of Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking a Controlled Substance and Breaching an Recognizance. 

"While on bail awaiting trial, it is alleged Cancela breached conditions of which he was to abide by and on Nov. 13, 2019 was subsequently arrested by the Castlegar RCMP," Taylor said. "On Nov. 14, 2019 Cancela appeared before the Castlegar Courts on three new charges of Breaching his Recognizance. 

"On this occasion the courts remanded Cancela into custody and his next court appearance will be Dec. 18, in Castlegar.