Back to top

Chimney fire prompts public service announcement for Castlegar residents

A chimney fire this afternoon has prompted the Castlegar Fire Department to remind residents to get their chimneys cleaned on a regular basis, according to CFD Fire Chief Sam Lattanzio.

He said the call came in at 2:04 p.m. to attend a fire in the 3000 block of 5 Avenue, and Engine 1, the Ladder Truck and one command vehicle arrived with nine firefighters (including the chief).

“The owner, fortunately, did extinguish some of the fire himself,” Lattanzio said. “He sprayed water in the fire box itself, and had a garden hose to spray the outside of the chimney.”

He said CFD used dry chemical extinguisher to deal with the remaining fire, which was confined to the chimney itself.

He said they advised the owner to have the chimney cleaned and inspected prior to using it again.

Lattanzio advised residents to have their chimneys cleaned a minimum of once a year – perhaps more, depending on how often you use the fireplace and what kind of wood/materials you are burning.

Once the fire had been mopped up, CFD used a thermal camera to make sure the fire was out and the temperature was falling back to normal.

No one was injured in the blaze.