This is an urgent message regarding COVID-19 from the Kootenay Boundary Division of Family Practice, a not for profit organization representing all the Family Doctors and Nurse Practitioners in Kootenay Boundary.
The physicians and nurse practitioners of Kootenay Boundary Communities are on the frontlines in the battle against COVID-19. This crisis is unlike anything we have experienced in our lifetime. We are working flat out to be there for our patients and their families.
Doctors cannot do this alone.
What the public does now will impact the health of everyone in our communities in the weeks and months ahead.
Lives depend on your actions now.
Our province is in a state of emergency.
Please follow these directives:
- Stay home unless absolutely necessary. This means no get togethers. No dinner parties. No shopping. No sports with others, even outside. No play dates. Connect online.
- For blended families, reduce frequency of turn around between parent homes.
- Keep 2 metres or 6 feet away from everyone if you must go out. Even if they are relatives or close friends. That’s about the width of a car or the length of two arms stretched out.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Tell your loved ones to do the same.
This is especially important for young people. We sometimes see you out in the park or at the beach. You can get sick from this virus. More importantly, you can be carriers and cause a lot of harm to parents, grandparents, and other loved ones.
This is serious - as physicians in our community, we are seeing many people who are abiding by the guidelines and staying home. We are seeing others who are ignoring the advice of our public health officer. Please stop. You are responsible for moving the finish line further. You are making this marathon harder.
The time is now.
Every day will now see a doubling of cases. There are significantly more COVID-19 cases in your neighbourhood right now than the diganosed cases suggest. We can’t wait one more hour or one more day. Let’s save lives, together.
In Kootenay Boundary, we’re community minded, we pride ourselves in caring for each other and doing the right thing. Let’s lead BC in following the Provinicial Health Officer’s directives, look after our loved ones and make the rest of Canada proud.
A message from the Kootenay Boundary Division of Family Practice representing all physicians and nurse practitioners in Kootenay Boundary.