Three explosions force evacuation of local business

Kyra Hoggan
By Kyra Hoggan
May 2nd, 2017

Employees at KC Recycling in Waneta got a bit of a fright this morning when an electrical fire caused three explosions.

Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue Captain Grant Tyson said they received the emergency call at 10:18 a.m. and responded with six Trail firefighters and another three from Montrose.

Crews arrived on scene at 10:26 a.m. and had the incident under control by 10:31 a.m.

“The explosions were from three transformers blowing due to an electrical fire,” Tyson explained. “A staff of roughly 10 people followed workplace procedures and everyone was safely evacuated.”

He said the fire has been deemed accidental, and there’s no damage estimate at this time.


Categories: General


Other News Stories