Trail kitchen fire sends one to hospital

Trail Champion
By Trail Champion
February 11th, 2019

A cooking fire gone awry brought 19 firefighters to a Cedar Avenue home Sunday, according to Acting Captain Lee De Pellegrin of Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue.

He said the call came in at 1:14 p.m. and crews arrived 1667 Cedar Avenue at 1:18 p.m., with the situation controlled at 1:40 p.m.

“(The) initial three-member crew found heavy smoke and fire conditions in the kitchen, and made an offensive attack to confine the fire to the kitchen area,” De Pellegrin said. “The home sustained extensive smoke damage.”

He said one of the people in the home at the time was transported to hospital with smoke inhalation.

He said there were two occupants in the house at the time of the fire, both of whom were able to escape on their own power, and a firefighter was able to rescue the resident cat, who was carried outside to safety.

There’s no available damage estimate at this time.

Categories: General