Teck Trail Operations will be undertaking a planned maintenance shutdown in one of its Roasters this spring to ensure the continued reliability of our operations. The shutdown will run from April 12 through May 24, 2021.
Approximately 175 contractor workers will be supplementing the Teck workforce during the shutdown. Many of the contract companies are local; however, the shutdown requires approximately 100 skilled trades with specific expertise to travel from outside the local area. Trail Operations has worked with Interior Health to ensure we’re taking the utmost precautions in light of COVID-19 and all contractors and their employees will be required to follow and comply with all of Teck Trail Operations’ COVID-19 safety protocols.
“The maintenance work is required for continued safe operation of the plant and is integral to the ongoing performance of Teck Trail Operations,” said Thompson Hickey, General Manager, Trail Operations. “As with all activities at Trail Operations, our number one priority during this shutdown will be on the health and safety of our employees and contractors, which includes stringent COVID-19 preventative measures.”
Health and safety measures for the project include the following COVID-19 protocols:
- A required daily declaration for all workers, reviewing symptoms of COVID-19 and any potential exposure, ensuring each worker is healthy and fit for work;
- Planned trailer and office layout with limited occupancy and seating configurations, as well as designated wash trailers, handwashing and hydration stations;
- Physical Distancing measures including staggered start times and restrictions on the number of people in plant control rooms and other key areas;
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols;
- A mandatory mask policy for indoor settings and workplaces for all employees and contractors; and,
- Scheduled audits to ensure all COVID-19 protocols are being met.
We are working closely with our Union partners, employees, and contractors to ensure the shutdown is carried out in a safe manner.